Blogger Layouts
I am an animal rescuer.
I will save lives. I will lose lives.
I will make wise decisions.I will make mistakes.
I will be surrounded by people who understand what I do and how I feel.
I will be criticized by those who do not understand.
I will rejoice when each homeless huggable finds a new forever family.
I will suffer through days when I cannot get those lost out of my mind.
I am an animal rescuer.

Friday, August 24, 2012

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE GOOD PEOPLE OF MURRAY COUNTY GEORGIA

SAD DAY FOR THE KITTIES

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE GOOD PEOPLE OF MURRAY COUNTY GEORGIA

Sometimes when you work in Rescue, you feel like throwing up your hands, and quitting.  Today was one of those days...

Yesterday morning I got the news that 5 kittens awaiting transport were sick.  So I called the rescuer and was able to get them in veterinary boarding.  I was feeling real good about that, then at 5:00, I got the news that many rescued kitties, which were still there, were sick.  They were immediately put down.

We lost kittens and cats, that should be alive, and going to their prospective Rescues or homes.  I was heartbroken.  The real truth is there was nothing anyone could do.  

The saddest part is they did not have to die, if we had proper facilities for taking care of them and the volunteers to help. No quarantine room, no volunteers and no fosters to care for kitties awaiting transport.  why??? 

Do we not have an hour or two a week to give to our local shelter?  Can't we plan in advance when building our shelters and build them to save them, not kill them? Or is animal control our dirty little secret of getting rid of unwanted animals and we can forget about them?  Forget about those poor souls that are just housed in a scary environment, like prisoners on death row? Forget about the irresponsible people who do not spay or neuter? Forget about the people working there, who have to make the choices of who lives or dies?  How would you like that job???

I am not writing this story today to complain about this, or to make anyone sad.  I am writing to ask for help.  We need volunteers.  Not someone to work at it full time, as I do but, to give something back to the kitties, who died.  They have no one but you or me.

We need homes to foster temporarily, while they are awaiting a transport, people to come to the shelter and donate time, giving love to these poor babies that WE are responsible for.  Someone to donate their time, to take them to places they will be safe.  

I am talking about YOU!  Can you use your talents? are you an organizer? Can you help plan adoption events, or raise money to make your shelter something to be proud of in your community?
Can you apply for grants?  Do YOU spay and neuter? 

In closing I would like to ask you good people of Murray County, if you know  how many kitties are killed every week, every month, every year?  Did you know that they only have 20 cages, and in a windowless room 8x10 next to the room where they euthanize, and where they keep the freezer to put them in??  Did you know that most of the volunteers are not even in your city or county, and many are not even in your state?  Did you know that until recently there was not even air conditioning in that room?  And that was due to facebook friends who held an auction to help?  

I am the voice for the kitties.  Can you help us???

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts with me